Yash Raj Films’ eternal classic Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge, the first film directed by Aditya Chopra, re-defined romance in Indian cinema, making it the biggest hit of all time in the history of Bollywood. Starring Shah Rukh Khan and Kajol as the beautiful, innocent and lovable couple Raj and Simran, this Aditya Chopra film has gone on to make and break many records.
Fondly called DDLJ by fans, the film is still running in theatres as it crossed 1200 weeks without an uninterrupted run at the iconic Maratha Mandir theatre in Mumbai.
On this iconic occasion, Shah Rukh said on Twitter, “A special journey that began 23 years ago, goes on even today. Your love has kept Raj & Simran’s story alive on the big screen for 1200 weeks non-stop. Thank u for falling in love with us so unconditionally for so many years! #23YearsOfDDLJ “
Kajol added, “1200 weeks and still running! Thank you all for all the love that you have been showering on #DDLJ for so many years! It was, it is and will always be an incredibly special film for all of us. @iamsrk @yrf #AdityaChopra”
On this occasion, here are 5 iconic moments from the film. What’s yours?
1) When Raj and Simran meet for the first time in a Eurorail coach. He tries to flirt with her, she is clearly disinterested.
2) When he tries to apologise for his naughty behaviour. Only to do more mischief!
3) When Raj and Simran meet in the mustard fields of Punjab after he chases her to India and wins her over. What follows is the classic ‘Tujhe Dekha Toh’
4) When he tries to please a stern Amrish Puri by feeding the pigeons.
5) And of course, the most memorable moment towards the end – when Raj pulls Simran into the train. Train journeys have never been the same again!